Tuesday 6 December 2011

Brut ideas

As group we discussed that we would each choose a piece of medium to re brand. I have decided to change the logo and produce a magazine advert which will be in a A4 format. I have already come up with some ideas for the logo itself. I have decided to go "retro" as after researching the aftershave, I noticed that the aftershave is popular within the older generation. I want to keep this audience as well make it more attractive to an younger audience. Retro itself has come back into fashion within the younger generation. So I feel this is a good way of re branding Brut to the masses. I have gone with a font that I have found on a typography website called Dafont.com. I have used this website over the past few years and I have found it very helpful. I have experimented with fonts such as Lobster, Blessed day, Katy Berry and Wrexham. However I found a font that in my opinion fitted perfectly, this is called Black Rose. I showed the rest of my group and they was happy with this text. 

I knew that I needed to get my typography perfect. As I have done re branding at college. I was told that the basis is the typography. The typography itself needs to express what your trying to sell. So after this I began experimenting with different "retro" aspects. Some worked a lot better than the others. Firstly I began swapping the text about to see if it would work any other way, this didn't work well. I thought I needed some of visual logo which incorporated more of my "retro" feel and look. I began researching this on-line so I didn't have a blank canvas to work from. I experimented with suits, hats, music etc. I was beginning to have a mental block, none of my ideas seemed to say aftershave to me. But I thought does it have to say aftershave as you will see that when you pick up the product. 

I went back to the colour blue because as an group we discussed that blue would be colour we would use. This gave me some more ideas. I began sketching out an retro styled man. Straight away this was going to be my logo. I put this retro man above my typography. However I felt it was missing something. I kept experimenting but it wasn't working. I was getting annoyed as I knew that this was the perfect logo. I finally got my logo to work. I used a blue semi circle to surround my retro man which was placed above my typography. I asked my house mates and my group which one they preferred. Everyone chose this logo.

Overall I'm happy with the look of my logo. Even though I had some difficulty. My next stage is to create my magazine advert. However at the moment I'm not sure where I will be taking this.

No comments:

Post a Comment